Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Yankees Fever

Anyone who had ever spent much time around me knows that I am nearly a lifelong New York Yankee fan.
The beginnings can be traced back in my memory to the 1964 World Series making it 88.57% of my years of faithfully following the Yankees.
And my all-time hierarchy of beloved Yankee greats goes .....
  1. Bobby Murcer .... I cried in protest when they traded him to the Giants and celebrated when they brought him back.
  2. Mickey Mantle ..... I was too young to remember much. Or his greatest moments.
  3. Don Mattingly ..... I once injured my wrist in my slo-pitch softball days attempting to imitate this wrist-bat quick movement thing I'd seen him do on television while in the on-deck circle.
  4. Bernie Williams, Thurman Munson or Ron Guidry
  5. Nearly everyone else who has worn the Yankee pinstripes for a single game, five years or a career.
The other day while sifting through baseball cards in an antique shop in Silverton ..... (I told the lady at the cash register the cards were "for my nephew" though I suspect that all my nephews either: a) don't care about the damn Yankees or b) too young to know about the freaking Yankees) ..... anyway, I came across a Yankee figurine with a number "23" and "Mattingly" on the back of the jersey.
Though I think it bears a closer resemblance to Wade Boggs.
So maybe it's Wade Boggs wearing a Don Mattingly jersey


Notice the lack of pinstripes? Don Mattingly certainly earned his pinstripes. Wade Boggs was a Yankee for only a year or two and just maybe the creator of the figurine was holding his red sox past against him though he was on the Yankees 1996 world series champs, so I think he deserves to be granted pinstripes as well. 

And I also found ten cards to add to my Yankee cards sheet binders ..... Ummm I mean, give to my nephews.

No comments:

Post a Comment