Thursday, September 24, 2026

The Waiting

I always enjoy the excitement of an evening before a scheduled delivery from the online record store where a few days ago I ordered two or three titles and now can't remember what they are, but you know that you listened to a few song samples and all were original, different, intriguing and exciting from largely unknown or forgotten musicians in funk, jazz or avant-garde jazz history and you know that your collections coolness factor is about to increase or multiply.

And I'm thinking that maybe I should leave work early and invite people over for the grand unboxing event that will unfold .... but who do I know that would care?

Right now, I don't want to know what's about to be delivered. It will be more of a thrill to open the package tomorrow and find out. 

And that is part of the enjoyment of being an aging geek, wannabe hipster record collector in 2026.

In the used bookstore this evening just before the first autumn rain began falling. I picked up a classical title. I'll take one home three or four times a year. One great thing is that they are relatively inexpensive compared to most pre-owned rock, blues and jazz on vinyl. 

I stay away from the century's old historical composer names. I look for recordings featuring cello or violin and more contemporary composers. I know nothing about this recording other than my attention was drawn to the cover photo. I don't know if I have an original copy or a reissue, but it was originally released in 1961. At this rate, by the time I'm one hundred years old, I'll have a modest vinyl collection of classical recordings to show off. 

It appears to be in near mint condition ..... though there is a handwritten note in blue ink on the back cover under the side two listing, advising ..... "Listen to this side only." Which is a sure-fire strategy to get me to listen to the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment